Thread: Winter in a TM
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojrxsf View Post
I'm considering buying a used TM and parking it at a campground in the mountains of NC while I attend a National Park Ranger program. Any advice and or lessons learned about winter stays in a TM would be greatly appriciated. Thanks a bunch. Jim
We've done a few winter camping trips in the TM on a Tennessee mountain. One time we got a few inches of icy snow overnight, and had a problem closing the shell the next day, until we swept away most all of the snow/ice off the roof. Those shells fit pretty snugly.

Wayne's suggestions about the electric heaters is on target - we use a pair of them so as to minimize use of the propane fueled furnace. The furnace makes a lot of noise, and uses more propane than you'd think - as I recall we used a full tank of propane in two days, that's when we got the electric ceramic heaters

Besides trying to plug as many air gaps as possible inside the camper, by far the best thing we did to facilitate cold weather camping was to buy an electric mattress pad for the bed. It can get down into the teens, and you'll still be warm and cozy! You'll try to hold 'it' as long as you can, before finally having to get up and go to the bathroom

Depending on how low the temperatures go, you'll have to take some special precautions with your fresh water supply hose. One night it go so cold that the water in the hose froze solid. Next morning we wound up disconnecting the hose and taking it inside the camper to thaw with the help of a hair dryer, in the kitchen sink. Now, if freezing temperatures are expected, I disconnect the hose before we go to bed, then reconnect it the next morning.

In general I'd say the TM is really not made for extended cold weather use. But for a week or two, you can make it work with some preparation and forethought. I'm sure other TM'ers have some tips too!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote