View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
13dano

Default Disney Update

My last trip to Ft. Wilderness during Christmas was disappointing. From the time I was there last in May they decided to get rid of all of the scrub brush and smaller trees around every site. I suspect they did this to lower the fire hazard, but it has lost that wooded look and there is no longer any privacy or feeling of being in the woods. SteveS is right, the Christmas lights and decorations around the campgrounds were fantastic.
The most irritating part of staying at Disney is that they don't appear to have any dump stations. So, if you stay at a tent/pop-up site you are out of luck. Last time I had to scout out an empty full hook-up site on the way out and use it. There weren't any empty spaces during Christmas however.
Fort DeSoto reserves 10 percent of their sites for drive-ups. If you drive up early on Friday or on Thursday you should be able to snag one though I wouldn't try it during holiday weekends or anytime school is off. I stopped in on Christmas day around 7:00 p.m. and they had sites available.