View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

First, let me say as a matter of personal opinion that I really dislike the cables. Because of their Slinky-spring design, they are always getting tangled up in each other, and anything else they can reach out and grab. This makes them harder to hook up properly, though I don't suppose it is a really big deal. But this same Slinky design also causes them to rise up and get snagged in the crevice where the spring bar stubs plug into the hitch head, where they wear rapidly. I haven't gotten around to changing over to chains, but I intend to do so. I won't mind if the chains occasionally hit the ground (which is what the Slinky is designed to prevent), though of course I wouldn't want them to drag continuously.

You didn't mention whether you have a swing tongue, so I assume not. But apparently the law requires that chains/cables be attached to "a point on the fixed frame", so the attachment has to be behind the swing tongue's hinge point, which is a long way back. With chains/cables this long, I don't think there is any chance that the cradle will keep the tongue off the ground.

By the way, I'm not at all sure that I would want to keep the tongue off the ground in this situation. If the tongue is swinging wild and free, it can move forward - into the tow vehicle's gas tank.

If you want to preserve the cradle, then I think that the way to go would be to put two bolts through the two frame rails, heads on the inner side of the rails, located at whatever point is handy. Then use two independent chains/cables. And I agree, I would try to get something a bit stronger than 750 pounds.

Let us know how you solve this problem.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote