View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Paul's discussion of amp-hours (battery capacity) is correct, but in his example he probably should have mentioned that you shouldn't discharge the battery below 50% if you can avoid it. Thus the mention of "42 to 52 hours" perhaps should have been caveated with the phrase "Of course, a practical limit would be 21 to 26 hours, since a battery should not be discharged below 50%." Deep cycle batteries are more tolerant of deep discharge than standard motor-start batteries, but life will be maximized if you observe the 50% limit.

Bill
Bill's comments about the "practical limit" are right on. It is difficult, however, to determine the percentage of useage when you are out in the "boonies." If you watch the intensity of your light bulbs, for instance, you can tell when they are dimming... a sure sign the battery is getting low. Of course, having a volt meter with you is another good indicator of how low the battery is getting.

Another good tool to have with you, in addition to a volt meter that reads up to 15VDC, is a hydrometer. It tells you the "specific gravity" of the water (acid) in your battery and what its condition is. You can buy one for as little as $2 at Wal-Mart or any auto supply store. My experience shows that the $2 unit tells you what you need to know, so to spend more on one seems unnecessary.

As an added point, I had 2 deep-cycle, wet cell 12 volt batteries on my TM and they were in top condition when I sold it after 3 years of use and over 16,000 miles. My present trailer has 2 deep-cycle, wet cell 12 volt batteries, is 5 years old, and they are performing very well. When you maintain them properly, keep them properly charged, and don't completely deplete the charge, they will continue to perform well for many years. During the winter months I keep them on a trickle charge in my garage, checking the water weekly. Your Optima has an excellent reputation and should out perform my standard wet cell batteries. When it is time to replace my wet cells, I will consider one of the new "high tech" battery systems.