View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

I'll try to answer each question as you have asked them:
1). How often does one have to perform battery maintenance on a battery that is connected to a solar array?
A. The solar array has little impact on maintaining a battery system, although it may be easier on the battery(s) than a trickle charger. The primary point is to check the water level in the battery(s) monthly. Make sure the posts on the battery(s) are clean of any corrosion build-up. Clean with a wire brush if they need cleaning.

2). Doesn't the solar array always keep the battery trickle charged to full capacity?
A. It should, just as a trickle charger will. Again, check the water level monthly.

3). What would cause the battery to appear to become discharged?
A. Water level may be low. You may have other "parasitic" discharges on your system, such as LP detector, CO2 detector, etc.

4). How long does it take for a deep cell battery to be fully recharged?
A. The answer depends on how discharged it was. With a charger set at about 5 amps it could take up to 24 hours to recharge. I wouldn't charge it at a higher rate for fear of damaging the battery permanently. Your solar system, if working correctly, should be able to handle a "gentle" recharge and when the battery is fully charged "kick down" to a trickle charge of 1.5 amps or less.

5). I've read in other threads that solar arrays are very hard on deep cell batteries. Is this true?
A. I am not familiar with the intricacies of solar arrays, however, I would not think any properly operating charging system will be hard on deep cycle batteries.

6). Should I take my battery back to the dealer and have him test it?
A. Yes, before you consider taking any other action to recharge the battery, make sure the battery(s) you are working with are good.

7). My wife and I haven't done any dry camping but prefer to camp in RV parks or State parks with hookups. If the battery is bad, what is the recommended replacement?
A. There are deep cycle, sealed, gel, and all popular brands of AGM dry-type, valve-regulated batteries, such as Interstate, Exide, Optima, Odyssey, Trojan and U.S. Battery. Lots of folks swear by the AGM or the gel type. Another thing to consider is to get 2 6-volt golf car batteries, wire them in series to produce 12 volts. They have a higher amp capacity than 2 12-volt deep cycle batteries have, thus producing more amperage for a longer period of time when dry camping. Whatever you do, if you put 2 batteries on your trailer, buy them together... same brand, same size, etc.

I hope this helps you find the problem and get on to enjoying your TM. If other questions come up, please ask. There are lots of good folks with good information on this site.