View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Well, all of our company just left and I finally had a chance to go out and slide under the TM to take some measurements. I don't have a roofer's square, so to determine if the trailer was tracking properly and to find an explanation as to why the right tire was substantially closer to the frame outrigger behind the right tire vs. the left tire, I measured the distance from each of the wheels to the tongue. My wife held the tape measure to the ball socket on the tongue, and I slid underneath and took measurements at 3 different spots on the axle / axle mounts near each wheel.

Each of these 3 different measurements for the right wheel were at least 1 inch more than the left wheel, indicating that the right wheel is further from the tongue than the left. Disturbing, seeing as I don't see anywhere where that inch came from.

To determine whether or not the axle was bent, my wife and I held a string to end of each axle on the side. The string did not deflect at all -- it hugged the axle housing all the way across.

I checked tire wear on both tires (one being the one that failed). Tire wear on the remaining tire is even. The failed tire had worn more on very outside tread 5/32" deep vs. 3/32" deep on the very inside tread. The tires don't have alot of miles on them though -- the center tread was about 9/32" deep.

I see your wheel, Rick, in link you provided, but is your other wheel the same way?

Does anyone see how the axle could have moved? Is there any play in the axle mounts, or are those holes round and drilled exactly to the size of those bolts? If there is, I'm going to try to slide the right wheel forward. I'm going to put a lift kit on shortly, so I'm going to see for myself soon.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote