View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Freedom

In the pictures it appears that the wheel in question is closer to the top of the wheel well. If that is the case, it could explain the difference because the suspension moves in an arc as opposed to up and down. The farther the suspension is compressed, the farther back it goes. This is one reason I don't like Dexter axles - the whole weight is carried by the rubber in the end of the axle tube. It makes for poor alignment and in many cases tire wear and the trailer running at an angle. I was just looking at our TM today to see if there's a way to replace the axle with a "real" axle and springs. My curb side wheel is also closer to the back of the wheel well than the street side and I'm convinced that the axle is the problem. I think I can mount springs and a straight axle on our TM and it will raise it several inches as if I had installed a lift kit. I had been thinking of adding a lift kit, so if the axle and springs result in the same thing, I'll be ahead of the game by the price of a lift kit. Now I have to find out how much it will cost to do all that modifying. I'm also convinced that the Dexter axles are a major contributing factor in all the tire problems. I've never had a blowout on any trailer with a straight axle.