View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Avoid Woodahls/Good Sam, use Reserve America or Reserve USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon View Post
how do i go about getting a listing of state parks, national forests,B.L.M. lands ------any such places that are fairly cheap and hopefully not as packed as the typical campgrounds?
First, don't waste your money or time looking in either the Woodahls or Good Sam "Campground" directories. These publications are both completely focused on the commercial "campgrounds", aka RV Parking Lots. Although they have listings for public campgrounds, all that's usually there is a phone number for whatever government agency is responsible for the particular campground. Call that number and you'll likely spend a lot of time wending through a bureaucratic maze getting to some person who actually has first hand knowledge of the campground of interest.

For state parks, just Google for [name of state] "state parks"....e.g. "Colorado State Parks". You'll invariably turn up the State run website (which are generally quite good) for that State. If you find a particular park of interest, then check it on Gorp.com or one of the other true outdoors websites. You might also check one of RV camping review websites like RV Park Reviews...sometimes there is a review of a non-commercial campground.

For National Forest campgrounds (at least those in the Western States), the best source I've ever found is The National Forest Campground Guide. Nearly all the comments about every campground were written by the authors after they did a personal visit/campout at the the campground.

When you're ready to pick a specific campsite at the many public campgrounds that take campsite reservations, be sure to visit either Reserve America or Reserve USA. I've found that Reserve USA is easier to use for campground/campsite searches but that I need to go to Reserve America for campsite reservations in most state parks.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote