View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Exclamation Get the WDH before you tow the first time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWG
Hello to All TrailManor Freaks:

After months of researching for an up-grade to our 22 year old pop-up tent camper, and after finding and following this forum for a while, we just bought a 2000 2619. It is still in CO while we live in Albuquerque, but as soon as the brake controller I ordered shows up, we'll be headed up to get it.

Our pop-up is 10' log being towed and weighs something like 2000 lbs. fully loaded. Needless to say, my first experience with the TM will be white knuckles all the way. Our TV is a 2005 V6 4Runner and I will be "sweating" all the weight warnings. Initially, I don't plan on a WD hitch or anti-sway stuff, but may have to later. As I am overly cautious, no doubt you will be hearing from me more often than you may wish.

Hope to see some of you "on the road".

WG
If you try towing that trailer without a WDH you will indeed be white knuckles all the way. The reason is the trailer's tongue weight will so greatly unweight the front suspension of the 4Runner (a light weight, short wheelbase vehicle) that the front tires will almost be floating. A year or two ago, we had someone reporting his rig (also a 4Runner) had so much sway and controllability problems that he couldn't safely go much over 65 mph. The cause: he wasn't using a WDH. Once we (I) convinced him he was a total and reckless fool for not using a WDH when towing with a 4Runner, he got one and later reported that towing had become downright enjoyable: no more sway and complete control.

With a good WDH, you'll have enough steering control that anti-sway devices will be totally unneeded.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote