Old 07-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Low-end torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuck1
...and here's another discussion with the HiHy towing a 2000lb boat:
http://www.hybridcars.com/discussion...=737&replies=7
So only 13.3 mpg towing a full height trailer and 21-22mpg towing a 2000lb boat. My guess towing a TM would be somewhere around 18-20 mpg.

-Paul
I noted a comment from the above link which I'd like to expand on. Namely the "high low-end torque" comment regarding the Toyota Hybrids.

Hybrid Synergy Drive is a parallel, vs. series engine-motor drive system. Meaning either the motor or engine can deliver the propulsion without assistance of the other. When adding propulsion together each operates in its most efficient mode (rpm). The motor(s) deliver max torque at zero rpm and continue to do so up to an rpm equivalent to about 21-25 mph, then falls off gradually at increasing rpm. The engine's peak torque occurs just as the motor's torque is getting sucky (a tech term).

The HiHY should be more powerful off the line from adead stop than its sibling conventiional Highlanders. My '06 Prius develops 295 lb-ft torque, via the motor, at 0 rpm and maintains that out put up to 21 mph. Relatively speaking, the HiHy AWD should produce a lot more torque from a stop. I've shocked a few guest drivers of my Prius by having them "floor it" off the line.

If the HiHY's GCWR is great enough to allow an acceptable payload, it should be a good tow vehicle. Toyota uses the same logic (IMHO) as Honda, in that their 3500 lb tow limit for trailers is based on a tall, slab-faced trailer. I.e., high aerodynamic drag. The TM's drag is less than 1/3 that of a conventional trailer. The 4500 lb tow limit for a boat (based on aerodynamics) is the clue that the TM's towability is 'probably' not a problem! NB: IMHO!

Denny_A