View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Joe

Question Aluminum Floor Corrosion

We have a 1998 2720SL. About a year ago we began to notice some bulges in the vinyl flooring in the kitchen area and the vinyl had discolored in that area. Then recently my wife wanted to replace the carpeting. So I pulled up the carpet and also the vinyl.The bulges under the vinyl are caused by the aluminum corroding. The aluminum is glued to luan plywood. There are several places around the refrigerator where the aluminum had corroded to the point that has been eaten away alltogether. The same thing occurs in front of the cabinet under the air conditioner. I've dug out most of the powder-like residue and cut away most of the weakened aluminum. The problem appears to be that water stood on the floor and seeped down between the aluminum and the luan. The galvanic action or whatever you call it, caused the aluminu to be eaten away.
I want to put new vinyl in the whole area. I contacted the factory and they suggested that I cover the entire floor with luan and then glue the vinyl to that. I'm concerned that the aluminum will continue to corrode and in a few years we'll have a similar or worse problem.
Right now I plan to coat the floor with a primer that is made for installing vinyl flooring, and then gluing the vinyl to that.
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this situation?