View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
utahsue

Default You can also do this to the under-bed cabinet

I did something similar, but I used the bottom shelf of the under-bed cabinet that is found on the 27 and 30 floorplans. I removed the existing door and used it as a template to trace a new door on a piece of scrap plywood. I removed the hinges and handle of the original door to use with the new one.

Next, I cut a square hole in the bottom of the new door, just large enough to let my cat walk through. I then covered the new door with scrap carpeting (attached by staple-gun on the back side). I sliced the carpeting to make a flap over the kitty door and then attached the whole works to the cabinet using the original hinges. I did not use the handle, but I could have.

Inside of the cabinet I placed a litter pan made out of two deep 9 x 13 disposable lasagna pans stacked together because a standard litter pan would have been too wide. Now my cat has a secluded litter pan, a "hidey-hole," and a scratching post. We continue to use the upper shelf of that cabinet to store anything but food.

We started with the door flap tacked up to make the opening more obvious. Now that the cat is used to the setup, I am going to let the door flap down because this cat is pretty zealous when he buries things and he has managed to throw some litter out the door.

My cat accepted his new digs quite readily and he uses the carpeting often for scratching. We only had to sacrifice one shelf, and everything can be easily put back to normal if we sell the TM.

B and D, you setup looks great, especially because you can use the type of litter pan your cat is used to (mine will go anywhere he finds litter, and for this I am truly thankful), but I am wondering if she will freak out when the furnace comes on. Our dog hates the furnace and won't go anywhere near it when it is running. My cat doesn't seem to care, though, so yours may be just fine with it.