View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
utahsue

Default The mysterious "hooked instrument"

I just finished replacing the EZ slider valve on the toilet (bad gasket), and the biggest challenge for me was locating a "hooked instrument" for pulling those white tabs forward. Happiness is being part Greek, I guess, because I found that a flat, metal kabob skewer worked great once I bent the last inch at a right angle. I had to use a lot of force to get the tabs forward and that skewer was both long and strong enough.

The tab closest to the tub just would not go, so we had to resort to using a 13 mm open-ended wrench on the nut above and behind the tab to loosen it a bit. DB had to work by feel to do this, but luckily he only needed to turn the nut a little bit. I know that's not supposed to work that way, but in the end we got the tabs out. Of course, then we had to tighten the nut back up again before putting the toilet back.

Thanks so much to Steveandjulie for the great narrative on removing the toilet. I wasn't quite understanding Thetford's instructions, but once I read this thread, it all made sense.

Our toilet does not have the locator disc installed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the slider valve won't fail again.

On another topic, would it have been so hard for the factory to label the fuses correctly? They are all wrong!