View Single Post
Old 11-15-2002, 01:16 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Taking our TM Cross Country

Eugene -

I know it doesn't help for me to say this, but that shouldn't have happened.  The T-E cooler (mine, anyway) draws about 5 amps.  The TV socket is good for 8 amps, according to the Winegard web site.  At any rate, I think (though I can't swear) that the socket is fused, so if the current draw had been excessive, the fuse should have blown.  I am assuming you don't have access to an ammeter to measure the current, right?

The most probable conclusion is that there was a high-resistance connection in there somewhere.  It could have been that the 12-volt feed wire wasn't properly attached to the TV socket (screw terminal not screwed down tightly).  But more likely, there was a little dirt or grease, either on the inside of the socket, or on the end of the plug.

Have you tried the T-E cooler in your car's cigarette lighter?  (Higher current available there.)  Does it cool correctly?  Does the little fan run?

If all looks good there, have you tried the T-E cooler in the new TV socket?  If it is going to overheat, I would think you could feel it with your fingers before any damage is done.  Especially if you remove the socket assembly from the wall so you can get your fingers right on the socket.  Don't worry, you can't get a shock from 12-volts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote