View Single Post
Old 12-01-2002, 12:01 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Wall bubbling/ceiling marks/sources, severity?

Quote:
My wife said one spot in the wall had a small area of peculiar bubbling, like the interior had puckered away from what was underneath. Reading over some old posts here I saw a couple along the same lines. Is this something to worry about? How would one fix such a thing if one could?
As shown on the Trail Manor web site, the wall/roof construction is a sandwich of 3" foam with a textured aluminum sheet glued onto each side.  It is strong and lightweight. However, the aluminum expands with temperature at a slightly different rate from the foam, so occasionally the glue bond lets go.  I can't imagine that this is a real structural problem (as opposed to an appearance problem), so my inclination would be to overlook it if it is small as you describe.  Of course, if you had a couple square feet of de-bonded area, I would worry - but I've never heard of that.

Quote:
One other thing the Mrs. said she saw, was the spot of the rear ceiling where one clamshell must rest on another, she said she saw some pretty obvious wear patches from the shells rubbing together. Again, is this a big deal or no big deal? Anything to be done about it?
This is common, not a big deal, and I don't think there is anything to be done about it.  It is a natural result of the shells moving slightly as you travel.  We have it in ours, and I wish we didn't, but we have learned to live with it.  You could repaint, but I think it would look worse than the rub area, and of course the new paint would immediately begin to rub.  I guess you could tape some sort of plastic sheet to the ceiling to take the wear while you are on the road - but what a pain!  I think the consensus of the group is that rubbing from the soft seals can't hurt the aluminum, so it is OK to accept it.  Of course, keeping the seals clean, getting the grit off, will slow the effect.

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote