View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I would suspect that the drain hose might be pinched at some point, or that there is accumulated dirt/dust in the pan itself that keeps the moisture in the pan. It wasn't a big deal to pull ours out. I started with the inside, took off the trim, etc, but it wouldn't come out so I took off the outside grill. There were just a couple of screws holding the unit in that went from the inside trim pieces into the body of the a/c. If you take off the outside grill you will see the pan that the unit sits on and also a sheetmetal band that wraps around the sides and top and is screwed into the bottom; this secures the unit. Next time I'd start with the outside. When we did the wheel well modification we had to kind of route the drain hose around the sheet metal we were installing (we had some extra that we wrapped around under the frame). As I recall, it came out right next to a cross-beam in the frame right behind the wheel well.

We just left the grill on and cut a piece of 1" foam board to fit inside where the opening is. There sure is a lot of extra room in there now! It's a great place for a microwave, or a big tub full of whatever. I've been looking for a replacement unit, have seen several that would fit, but just haven't bought one yet.

The lip around the pan is only about 3/4" high, perhaps it could be made higher somehow in order to keep the moisture from spilling out while driving, while it manages to make its way down the drain tube. Maybe some duct tape with some plastic material around the edge?