View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
Jim-NY

Default My thoughts...

Wiloran,

To start with, I think we are going to need more information including peak foot-pounds of torque. I got good advice on this board by posting the specs on my engine and transmission from the owners manual.

I don’t know any specifics about the Highlander hybrid, but even with additional information, we may not be able to give you a conclusive response. Here is why I think that.

Hybrids depend on vehicle braking and deceleration to recharge the batteries that in turn boost the power when going uphill and accelerating. If the brakes on the TM accomplish a third or more of your braking power, you will loose that recharge power. Then your batteries may not have the energy that you will need to go up hills after driving it a distance. It will be the hills that make it or break it for you.

I don’t think anyone would recommend devising a way to keep the trailer brakes from coming on when you hit your Highlander brakes. It would increase your braking distance substantially and could cause some real serious safety issues. Isn’t there an old joke where the wife says “that trailer passing us looks just like ours”…and the husband says.. “It IS ours!”

Again, I don’t know anything specific about the Highlander hybrid. It may be fine, but I think you should proceed with due caution.

Can you turn off the battery boost on small hills and save the energy for the big ones?

Jim