View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
BobRederick

b195...

I for one would not be interested in renting. The exception would be 1X to see if my conclusion on solar (for me) is accurate. For that, I would rent!

* The bother of getting it, taking it back would be a burden at a time when I am getting home tired, it is 105 degrees or thereabouts, and the rental shop is closed on Sunday.
* Also, how does one haul such a device? It must be fragile. I see some solar units that look like a roll-up tape. Those would eliminate that problem.
* I guess you could supply all the apparatus needed such as the charge controller so the user would just clip to the battery leads.
* Also, myself and here in Az, I park in the shade every chance I get. That will definitely cut the solar output. If you have one on a cord, that would actually be a benefit as it might be possible to reach a sunny area.

My solution is to use a small generator to charge the battery. I have an older Honda 750 watt that does just fine for that. I run it about 1 hour a day. If I could tell my charge state, that could probably be 1/2 hr every other day! A nice advantage is I just bought a small $20 vacuum cleaner that I can clean the sand and dust out with when the generator is running. So far, I have been dry camping only with my TM in a group of other campers (toy haulers with ATVs) and we all turn on generators -- mostly for cooking at mealtime.

My 2 cents... you did ask!

Bob
In sunny Arizona.
'04 3326KS