View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Only ST type tires should be used on travel trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
You can get 14 inch tires with higher load rating. I bought Cooper tires last time. The dealer said they were a commercial type. They were 195R14C, Load Range D 106/104Q with a load rating of 2095 lbs at 65 PSIG. They fit and worked very well on my 3023 while on my trip to Grand Teton NP from southern Indiana.
There's general consensus that travel trailers should only be equipped with "ST" (special trailer) series tires, not light truck tires ("LT" series), not commercial trailer tires ("C" series like the ones you bought), and not passenger car tires ("P" series). Certainly you often find higher load ratings in the same size tire if you use a "C", "LT", or "P" tire but these tires are designed for regular use and tend to deteriorate substantially if left unused but loaded for extended periods. By comparison ST tires are specifically designed to not deteriorate (internal oxidation) when left unused but loaded for months...a typical scenario for travel trailers that are left in storage for 6 months. Furthermore, ST tires are designed to better withstand the sidewall twisting and sideforces that happen when double or triple axle trailers are sharply turned (e.g. backing into a camping site).

So, yes, a commercial or "C" rated tire will do fine the first season it's mounted...probably better than an ST tire. But it may not be in very good shape at all by the beginning of the 2nd or 3rd season after it's been left unused for months at a time in a fully inflated state with the weight of the trailer on it. IOW, if you want that C rated tire to be still be good by the next towing season, you need to get all weight of the trailer off the tires during the winter and deflate the tires down to about 10 psi. And make sure the tires are completely protected from the weather (ideally inside).

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote