View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 08:42 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

oldstick- Do you mean a disappointment to larsdennert in particular or to the industry as a whole? I think EVs have their place. My wife had a Nissan Leaf and loved it when her commute was less than 5 miles but hated it when sh changed jobs and had to drive 35-40 miles each way. But I don’t think they will be the end all be all savior of the planet that the politicians are pushing for… GM and Ford already shut down EV production because they can’t sell them.

Story time. When I worked for the City of Rochester they wanted to explore electric garbage trucks. The local Mack truck dealer would need to have charging capabilities in order to sell them. Makes sense, gotta be able to service what you sell, right? Rochester Gas & Electric said the current infrastructure wouldn’t handle that kind of power demand neither they nor the Mack dealer were looking to pay for the upgrade. So the dealer went back to Mack and said “Now what do we do?” Mack’s solution, I kid you not, was to install a 50,000 watt diesel generator so they could charge the electric trucks. Wow. Just wow. Needless to say, the Mack dealer isn’t selling electric trucks.

The City of Rochester was also looking at electric police cars until they realized each unit was roughly $7,500 more expensive than a gas police car, and they’d need twice as many vehicles so they could have one charging for every one on the road.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote