View Single Post
Old 07-16-2023, 05:40 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisB View Post
Hi-our 2020 2720 trailmanor has an air conditioner that sporadically fails to blow cold air. I would like to do maintenance on it. Can I climb up and walk on the roof without causing damage.? We are full time in it and really don’t want to close it down. Can it be worked on from underneath? I have cleaned the filters but haven’t gone any further. It is a Coleman Mach air conditioner.

Thanks for any input
Dennis
Absolutely do not walk on the roof, especially when set up (unless you weigh like 50#).

There isn't a lot to be serviced up there other than cleaning. If you want, you can get some A/C coil cleaner at Home Depot. Remove the cover, vacuum out all debris, hose the inside off with a garden hose. Spray some coil cleaner on the coils and rinse it off.

You can do this with a tall ladder. If you must get on the roof, put the roofs down, put a 2x4 on each edge of the roof then put a 2'x8' sheet of plywood across the roof to sit on. The roof is arched with the middle being higher than the sides, that why the 2x4s on the sides, to make the plywood level. This will spread your weight but you still need to tread lightly. If you are over 200# (like me), you may want someone else to go the plywood for you.

Most of the time that an A/C stops cooling, it's because of lack of airflow. You said that you cleaned the inside filters. That's good but if you still have an issue, run your fan speed at maximum only. When the airflow is slower, it allows ice to form on the evaporative coils. Eventually, the coils will freeze solid and not let any air pass. After the ice melts, the air will pass again until it freezes up again. The higher the fan speed, the less this is likely to happen.