View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Some good ideas, and a good <warning> from Larry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Rick, I'm having a little trouble visualizing your proposal. Some pictures or diagrams would be very helpful I think.

If you rotate the shell higher on one side without disconnecting the lift arms from the shell, you might twist the connected side, especially if it is still attached to the torsion bar.

When I tried raising the shell from underneath, it was extremely difficult to keep my 2x4 lift supports stable. and from tilting to one side or the other....
<snip>
Great post, and I understand what you're saying. My exterior curb-side "blocking" 2x4s bars should keep the street-side from kicking out (sideways), but I might still have an issue on the damaged street-side. Maybe my "lifts" should not be entirely vertical, but rather set on planks from "far outside" at the low end, going up to "Tm Shell Bottom" at the top.

I'm not that worried front to back, if the curb-side front "mini-clip" structure is in place and well-anchored. My garage is not long enough to handle a 3024 with the front shell open - it fits my closed 2619 with only about 2 feet to spare. And anchoring the curb-side is key for making the sledge hammer attack work - I can't have the shell floating completely free. I will plan to add add a set of ropes/cables, horizontal from curb-side rocks to the lifts (just underneath the TM floor) to prevent "kick-out" of the street side lifts.

If the front shell is inclined to descend in the backward direction, I'll need to create another brace to prevent that. I can simply add another 2x4, with a vertical bar to catch raised shell - from the rear side of the front shell, top framing base (just above the flexible rain shield), with the other end jammed against my garage door frame.

Thanks so much! Your idea of maybe building a tall scaffold for shorter "lift members" sounds really good, but I'll try it with full length "lift members" first. I can cut down the long "lift members by a few inches, to create scaffolding - but the entire scaffold is still prone to falling down side-to-side, unless I can create some "stabilization" near the top. There are more BIG decorative rocks in the edge of the yard on the "street side" of the TM in working position, but they're further away from TM position than the "curb side" rocks. And they rise at a softer angle. Overall, I feel better about ropes from the "curb side" rocks into hooks on the "tall" lifts - less "stuff" to actually build.
- - - -
I do intend to leave curb-side torsion bars connected. I need only 3" of lift on the street side, temporarily, and I hope that the temporary past-90-degree curve of the curb-side bars will tend to "spring back" after the temporary distortion. I anticipate the shell to be unconnected on the street side and stressing the curb side for only about 2 hours.