View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yup, I looked at the literature for the stuff, and you've confirmed what I saw there. The stuff is strong, meaning it won't break. But that doesn't mean it is sticky. The rock guard has an extremely slick surface. I'm not sure what that surface is, but I can't imagine how anything that isn't solvent-based would stick to it. And I don't know which solvent.

Some sort of glue or moldable material might stick if you could kill the gloss on the surface. My immediate thought, of course, was coarse sandpaper. But the rock guard material is so thin that I worried about making it weaker, to the point where it would be easy to break. So I did not use that approach. As I mentioned, I riveted a piece of aluminum onto the inside of the rock cover, using two rivets on each side of the crack.This seems to be working, and they were not too obnoxious-looking after I painted them with a high-gloss spray paint. I didn't do a wonderful job of matching the color, so you may want to mask to confine the spray paint to a very small area.

I believe (but I don't know) that two or three aluminum rivets on each side of the crack, and a blob of almost anything moldable, formed over the backside of the rivets, would work.

Do not forget to drill a stop hole at the end of the crack!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote