View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhouston View Post
Thanks for both replies. I am planning to go with the single 12 v deep cycle battery. My problem now is finding the right one. There are other threads on this site that say, "not marine", "should not have a CCA rating", and some other guidance that seems to indicate there really is a deep cycle, flooded lead acid battery out there for an RV trailer. So far I cannot find it. Whether Walmart or Interstate or other retailers, everyone seems to be selling deep cycle marine batteries for this duty.

Has anyone found a true deep cycle, low current - long use, 12 volt RV battery? Long use to me would be overnight in a Walmart lot with just the heater blower on (worst case). Otherwise we are always tied off to the Texas utility grid.

Thanks.

Larry
Larry -

WalMart used to sell a deep cycle battery as part of their Everstart Maxx series. The off-grid solar power people used to love them. I've noticed that my local WalMart doesn't keep them in stock any more, but you may be able to have them order one. By the way, these are often referred to as "trolling motor batteries". WalMart now offers one called Mighty Max ML75-12 (12 volt, 75 A-H). A bit pricey at $140.

If you can't find one, I agree with Tentcamper - I wouldn't be upset about using a Marine battery (a bit under $100) in your situation. Engine start batteries are necessarily a bit flimsy in their construction. Deep cycle batteries are much more rugged. Marine batteries are kind of in between the two.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote