View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Bathroom Sink Leak - Drain pipe came loose

Jim -

What a wonderful place to use that roll of duct tape you have been carrying around!

More seriously, if you are of a mind to fix it yourself, rather than spending time at the dealer, it is easy to fix.

First, can the horizontal pipe be loosened at the kitchen end, and slid back toward the bathroom a bit? I know some of the pipes under the kitchen sink are glued, and some are screwed, but I've forgotten which are which.

If not, you can easily lengthen the horizontal pipe a bit. The size of the bathroom drain pipe is 1-1/4". You could go to your local hardware store and buy a 1-1/4" PVC coupler. This is a short (probably 2&quot length of plastic pipe that is designed to join two long pieces of 1-1/4" pipe. It costs about half a buck. Go under the bathroom sink, or under the kitchen sink (whichever is easiest) and cut the too-short drain pipe. A hacksaw will cut it in a few seconds - make sure the cut is square across the pipe. Push the cut ends into the coupler, and voila, the whole pipe is as much as an inch longer. You will need to glue (aka "solvent weld&quot the ends into the union, and if you don't already have the glue, that will be the most expensive part of the project. A small can of PVC pipe cement probably costs $2.

Alternatively, you can buy a 1-1/4" drain pipe extender that uses the same kind of big-plastic-nut attachment method you have already experienced under the sink. No glue needed. Probably $4.

Yes, you shouldn't have to do this, and if TM had a perfect quality control program, the problem might not have come to pass. But at this point you are faced with the reality of the leak, and have to decide how best (for you) to take care of it. I know that not everybody is willing to undertake these projects, but to me, if I can do it in 15 minutes and be done with it, it sure beats driving to my dealer and waiting two hours for him to do it - or leaving the TM with him overnight!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote