View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #38
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
Welp, I wish I had more experience trblshooting 12VDC trbls. With all connections/jumpers disconnected both batteries tested at 6.15VDC. So apparently the batteries are charged. And yes, the jumpers are connected as in your sketch for series.

I went through all of the connections and jumpers scraping them down to metal. The jumpers test good for continuity with the ohmmeter, as did the ckt breaker.

The ground lug connected to the streetside tongue was heavily corroded, as was the white wire connected to it. I filed all that clean, dielectric on all connections.

I'm running the gen now plugged into the trailer, we'll see what happens.

EDIT: Cleaning the ground lug got the furnace running overnight. Still concerned that the white wire has some corrosion between strands, so added a 10AWG jumper.
Oh, my woeful ignorance. Turns out it was a bad battery as Bill suggested above. Being ignorant of how to test for such, I skipped that and assumed it was the corroded frame ground.

Using these instructions http://solarhomestead.com/defective-...oubleshooting/ I saw Step 6 which says while charging if one has high voltage it's bad. One was charging at 7.45VDC the other at 6.5VDC.

Replaced both this AM with NAPA-brand BAT-8144 186AH batteries, NAPA being the closest place available.

I'm not sure when the batt went bad, may have been bad when I bought the trailer. When I tested the systems in the driveway everything seemed good, but I think maybe it was the factory solar was running everything (????) since I tested in full sun. I guess the bottom line is I'm just ignorant about DC electrical systems.

EDIT: Hallelujah, the Christmas Tree on the Systems Monitor panel finally lit up all the way without solar and without the generator. Now I'll find out how long these NAPA batteries last not only keeping the trailer systems going, but charging the laptop and smartphone. Fortunately I have the jump pack and truck inverter as backup.

EDIT: Feels great to wake up for once with the Systems Monitor panel lit up to 'Good'. And with the 150W inverter plugged in charging the laptop/smartphone.