View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default 1st day near disaster

First day on the trip was not really smooth. First thing Wi-Fi transmitter for the rear view camera would not power up . It started working after we stopped at the first rest stop. We ate lunch at the Carl's Jr. In Moses Lake , then went to drive by our old house. (we lived in Moses Lake for a while) On the way out of town I noticed the lights weren't working on the trailer. We pulled into a gas station and discovered that the bargman cord that connects the SUV to the trailer had been dragging on the ground and most of the 7 wires inside had been frayed through. A little background: When we bought the trailer used, we noticed the bargman cord had been patched. After quite a few attempts to get the trailer brakes working consistently, finally looked at the patch and found a mess. So I had it re-done professionally. We did end up with extra wire however, which I didn’t mind because our bargman connects on the left side of the TV rather than the middle, so when we turn right it has to stretch, but then when we turn left it sags. So I had it held up with a bungy cord to the propane tanks, and that worked fine. Before heading out on this trip, I added a propane tank cover, and took the bungy cord off, and then (obviously) didn’t get it back on correctly.
After the initial panic wore off, we went to a nearby LOWES and bought some connectors and a wire cutter stripper crimper. Half an hour later I had all the wires reconnected. Then while testing the right turn signal didn't work. The connections all seemed fine. Redid some, looked on the Internet for information on which wire it should be, seemed fine, but it re-did it anyway. Then swapped the bulbs and then they both worked. So we were about 2 hours later than expected getting to Coeur d'Alene, but everything else was fine.

On the way after Moses Lake we stopped at a Cat Scale. Our TV is rated at 3500, and we had packed more stuff in the TM than ever before, so I was hoping we weren't over. TM came in at 3520, so a little bit over, but I think I can live with it.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote