View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
SirDrake

First I would like to thank all of you who replied.

Inghamm noted the following in his post:
Quote:
FYI at the bottom of the full specs for the 34M it says:
"Model: 34M
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are not recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications." I wonder if that was a mistake or on purpose.
Just FYI, I purchased the D34M model battery. This is the Deep Cycle version.

I followed Tentcampers advise on our last trip (first trip with the new battery).
I connected the TM to shore power 24 hours before trip and also started the fridge. Then switched the fridge to battery the morning of the trip.
We were on the road for about 5.5 hours and the battery still had a charge when we arrived at the campsite. I didn't measure it but it was strong enough to power the tongue jack.
Something I haven't experienced in a few years!
I pulled the fuse on the battery after a day or so so that the onboard charger would not continuously charge the battery the whole week we were camping.
Then I put the fuse back in the day before we left so that the battery would get some juice. We made the 5.5 hour trip back home and the battery held up.

After reading all of your advice and through numerous other posts, I think I am going to install a battery disconnect switch and invest in the Optima Charger.
This way I can disconnect the battery from the TM and connect the Optima charger to charge and maintain the battery.
I figure that Optima makes the charger to maintain their batteries, it should be the best option. And they get excellent reviews.
I'll let you know how I make out.

On another note, I think I have had it with Gas Absorption Refrigerators, aka the Norcold N300. By looking through the forum I see that others have had similar issues.
It has been a very hot summer here in the northeast with temps into the 90s and high humidity, so I understand why it has been struggling.
I have a thermometer in the fridge which I monitor. Most times that thermometer was in the 50's and as low as 60's one time. I kept the fridge setting on 5, ran the fan continuously, and even removed the outside compartment covers to help with air flow.
In the past, I would have to keep lowering the setting because of food freezing up!
Funny though, even with the temps down to 50-60F stuff was still cool/cold to the touch and the ice cream in the freezer was still frozen!
We also use a small electric cooler plugged into the DC outlet in the TM to store drinks. I moved some items like milk and halfnhalf into the electric cooler at one point because I was getting worried.
In any case, I will probably be able to get through the rest of the camping season with the Norcold, but I think come spring I see a Dometic compressor fridge getting installed.
Anyone interested in a Norcold boat anchor?
TrailManor: 2004 2720SL | Kenwood Stereo/Polk Speakers/Sharp 22" LCD/Winegard Wingman/AC/Fiamma Awning/Electric Tongue Jack/Over Sink Cabinet/Shower Mod/Optima D34M Marine Battery
SirDrake is offline   Reply With Quote