View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
and a miracle happened. Tried one more tine and needle started moving, now in the green.
Almost certainly a loose wire. If so, it will continue to be an intermittent problem, very annoying, and potentially expensive when your food spoils. So you will want to fix it. Pull the refrig out as I described, and tighten the spade connectors. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that this is all that the recall fix does.

Quote:
only trouble now is am on 3/8 tank, One I just filled when open about half way a leak began around the stem. Only certain points I can hear/see but do not know on others if it is still leaking, just much less. Is there a way to open both at the same time and transfer from one to the other ?
To answer your question directly - no. You can't transfer from one to the other. But you should use soapy-water spray on both, as you open and close the valves.

My experience several months ago - take it for what it is worth. If a leak begins around the stem, you can't fix it. And you don't want it to continue. I took my tank to a "real" propane place, and watched what the guy did. First, he transferred all the propane out of the tank and into a 100-pound tank he kept for that purpose. He had a special hose (dunno what exactly) for this. Then he clamped my tank into a holder fixture, and put a BIG wrench on the valve. Removed the valve, and screwed in a new one with some thread dope. Filled the tank, and leak tested it. Took my money.

I think I got some credit for the propane he took out of the tank. But probably not a lot. It might have been cheaper to buy a new tank if the tank was a standard upright model. But since it was a horizontal tank, this dance was necessary.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote