View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Smile Thanks Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Thomas -

If you are set on using the space for storage bins, go for it. But another approach is to lower the rack a bit to make space for the bigger tire. Not tough to do, and keeps the tire off the rear bumper. Find one discussion at

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5828

Bill

Bill you are an encyclopedia of TM stuff. I love picking your brain. I'm just glad you don't charge for the privilege! Yes that mod looks easy enough. Especially the one piece channel iron that you did. Quite ingenious if I do say so myself. But I am set on moving the spare to the back bumper so I can have the storage space under where the spare is now located. It just seem logical to create more storage for the TM related items that normally roll around in the back of my truck. Once positioned correctly, I will weld the new spare tire carrier to the rear bumper so it stays put and doesn't rattle around. I am planning on using a 2" receiver mount welded to the rear bumper. So with the 2" receiver tube (that can be locked into place) connected to the spare tire mount, will make it easy to remove the spare tire and replace it back with a flat if I ever have to. I'll just unlock the pin and pull the receiver from it's mount and place that on the ground to get the spare off completely. Then once off I can re-bolt the flat on it and slide it back into the receiver, put in the locking pin and that's that. It's so much easier for me to stand and lift than to lift on my knees and try to slide that spare in and out (been there ...done that...OOOFF!). This will also shift a little weight to the back of the trailer making more of a counter balance for the tongue weight.
TC
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote