View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #9
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madizzy8 View Post
We just brought our Trailmanor home yesterday. It's new to us but is a 2004. What kind of things do we check for? We, of course verified that lights, water, stove etc were working. We know we will need to do a bit of work and cleaning. What concerns me are things like wheel bearings, brakes, axel etc. What should we check for? We purchased this from a woman whose husband was out of the country so her knowledge was limited. Is there a check list when buying a used Trailmanor? Total newbies here with limited knowledge of Trailmanor.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Love this forum!
Mary
Hi Mary,

Based on my recent update to my 2004 here is what I would recommend you look at. I am sure I am missing a few things though.

Tires -- how old are they? The tread may not be worn, but if they are older than 5 years (some say 3) you you may be on borrowed time.

Batteries -- get a battery tester or go to a battery shop and make sure they take a full charge and are not degraded.

Grease wheels/bearings -- You can get a pump grease gun with a zerk/EZ fitting at the local auto parts shop, and a tube or two of trailer/wheel bearing grease. Search YouTube for "How to Grease Trailer Wheel Bearings with EZ Lube Grease Cert" It's all there!

New anode rod for the water heater -- assume it has never been replaced and is gone . You can check first though by unscrewing it from the water heater. You will likely need a "breaker bar" and a large socket (I forget what size but I can check if you need). Part# is "Suburban 232767.

Check roof vents for cracks or UV damage and caulk seals around them. Use 100% silicon caulk. You may need to cut away the old caulk to repair -- check vents from the inside for water damage to see if you need to do this.

Replacement bulbs -- inventory your bulbs and have a few spares for each type. (I can tell you what I had on my 2004 if you need). They go out from time to time

Propane detector check -- you likely have a propane only leak detector, and not a carbon monoxide detector. Check if you have a CO2 detector or not. You can retrofit your propane detector to a dual unit, or just get a separate CO2 detector at your home hardware store and install it somewhere. Sorry, I am a bit of a safety fanatic when it is cheap insurance.

Fire extinguisher (disposable factory) replace, see above. You can check date on your current unit. Factory issued units are good for 12 years.

Check tire pressure before every trip -- under inflated tires get hot and then.....

My two cents.....

Kevin