View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't know. The front shell is very heavy - I'm guessing several hundred pounds. If the front end is low, you will be pushing all that weight uphill, and on mine, at least, that is nearly impossible. (My driveway slopes just like yours.)

What has been suggested here on the board is just the opposite - raise the front end above level. Now you are pushing the weight of the front shell downhill, and it is a lot easier. I realize that this is an even higher reach, but for me it is easier.

I can think of a few suggestions, none of them wonderful. But all of them should work, especially if you start with the front end above level.

o Back up the tow vehicle to the front of the trailer. Stand on the bumper to get some height, and push the shell. Once it starts to move, it will carry itself back and down if the tongue is high.
o A low stool (like the white one that came with the TM) would give you a few inches of added height. Obviously the stool needs to be sturdy and stable. But again, if the front is high, you just have to get it started, and it will lower itself from there.
o If you have two people, they can each push from the corners - no need to climb over the tongue to to reach the center. If your husband isn't up to it, you can probably find a friend or neighbor to help, especially since you don't need help very often. Again, it is not a chore if the front is high.
o A "push stick" - a 1-foot length of 2x4 covered with carpet, and screwed across the end of a 6-foot length of 2x4. Be sure to push on the lower edge of the front shell (not on the sheet metal), right in the center - just where you would push with your hands.
o A "pull strap" - a 30-foot length of nylon strap with a padded hook on one end. Throw the strap lengthwise onto the roof, with the hook end hanging down in front, and the straight end hanging down in back. While you stand behind the trailer and get ready to pull the straight end, your husband places the hook over the lower front edge of the front shell, and yells "Go!" The strap with the hook is easy to find and quite cheap. Think "ratchet strap".

o And finally, I hesitate to suggest this one. Hook up the trailer to the tow vehicle, and very very carefully move the trailer into the street, which is presumably level. Emphasis on CAREFULLY! The shell really isn't built for that, and if it flops around as you cross the swale at the end of the driveway, you can do some damage. To avoid flopping, ease straight out of the driveway into the street - don't try to make the turn. Yes, you will be blocking the street, but only for a minute or so. Once in the street, just lower the shell and back straight up into the driveway again to finish the job.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote