Thread: tow vehicle
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:tow vehicle

[quote author=TKB link=board=20;threadid=1712;start=msg12047#msg1204 7 date=1077799710]
My wife and I are getting a new 3023TM in about eight weeks. I wanted to get input from owners about our tow vehicle. We have a Nissan Frontier with V-6 and auto transmission with a 5000lb tow rating. It has a class three hitch and we are going to get a WD hitch I'm also installing a heavy duty transmission coolant system. Does anybody think this would be a problem. The dealer said it wouldn't be but I like to get as many opinions as possible. Thank You for any input and I think this is a wonderfully informative message board.
[/quote]

With a WD hitch and a tranny cooler (kudos on going with both!), you'll probably be fine anywhere east of the Rockies...I believe a fully equipped and loaded up 3023 typically weighs between 4000 and 4500. IIRC, the Nissan V6 is a 3-something liter engine which should do pretty well even in the Appalachian mountains. As it doesn't sound as if you have the Nissan towing package on the truck, the only other item you might want to look into is the radiator. If you find the truck running a bit warm on climbs this summer, upgrading to a heavier duty radiator might be needed...but that's normally not a huge task to undertake.

Since you're going to be utilizing around 80 to 90 percent of your rated towing capacity though, you should get the best trailer brake controller...either a Prodigy or a Jordan.

Almost any 3 liter engine is likely to be really huffing and puffing if you try to tow a largeish trailer like the 3023 up steep grades at the higher altitudes you would encounter in either the Rockies or the Sierra Nevada/Cascades mountains. But I see that you're from NH so that's not likely to be an immediate issue and the truck would do the job even here in the west...you'd just be going pretty slow in 1st or 2nd gear on some grades.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote