View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #55
Skyjim73

Default I'm fairly local!

Welcome, Zartoon! I'm a long time trailer camper, but still awaiting delivery on our TM. I'm over in Valencia, and would be happy to help in any way I can, but you are getting good advice here from experienced owners.

My only quibble might be that if you dry camp a lot, you might want to consider dual batteries rather than a single if your budget and room on the tongue allows. A pair of 6 volt flooded lead/acid golf cart batteries wired in series for about 220 Amp/hrs of 12 volt storage are the conventional default solution, but I have no qualms about modern AGM deep cycles as long as you have a charger set up for them. There are slight differences in recommended charge voltages, and you don't equalize an AGM. In any case, and at the risk of telling you something you may already know, don't buy compromised "Marine/starting" type batteries, but true deep cycle types in whatever style you choose. I personally like Trojan, Crown, or DEKA deep cycles, but there are lots of choices out there.

You can get battery boxes at Amazon or Wal-Mart, or a local RV store like Camping World.

Jim
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote