View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Wingedryder

Smile Never wet for bathroom walls

Funpilot,

I like your thinking, but this "Never wet" product reminds me too much of "Scotch Guard" that can be effective for a while on fabrics, but I don't think it's practical for hard surfaces. I personally don't think either would adhere nor last on a solid, hard surface like the TM's shower walls.

However, I've used spray-on products by the name of "Clear Glaze" or "Clear Cover" made by Krylon & Rust-Oleum over painted exterior surfaces such as the "James Hardie Board" siding on my house that also replace the wood on my decorative plant shelves that protrude from the front of my house. [James Hardie cement board is NOT recommended for horizontal applications as it is more susceptible to moisture absorption, and can therefore crumble. I wasn't aware of this at the time of installation]. Well, sure enough, the painted shelving ended up peeling and exposing the cement board after rains, and especially winter snows. So, last fall I sprayed a couple coats of this clear coat sealant over repainted shelving and, so far, they've resisted moisture penetration and/or peeling that would have been evident by now!

Since you mentioned your concern for protecting the TM's shower walls from the effects of moisture over time, I'm wondering if this type of easy-to-apply clear sealer might be durable enough, and yet harmless to the TM's shower walls. My wife has used this type of clear sealer on painted wood, canvas, & plastic crafts for years and not noticed any yellowing nor peeling. It could be reapplied easily enough periodically if necessary, as long as it didn't have any deleterious effects (though don't know if as effective on unpainted surfaces). Just a thought, if I understood you correctly!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote