View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

After a lot of consideration I ended up mounting my panel so they could be tilted on the TM if needed or removed to become portable. The problem with portable is you get no gain when traveling. I wanted this because I have not solved the battery drain from the refrigerator. We had camped at a number of sites with very limited sun but my panel had always managed to keep us charged without tilting or removing. Up until this last trip I had begun to wonder if I had wasted a lot of effort and some money for nothing. The panel had been so successful last year I didn’t bother to bring the generator on the trip this year.

When we got to Acadia NP we camped in Blackwoods Campground and had a sliver of sunshine when it wasn’t cloudy. Blackwoods is appropriately named. Without the option of removing my panel it would have been worthless. I think we were there for 5 days and I managed to keep the batteries reasonably charged. I figured out where the best sliver of sun would be and placed the panel there and did not attempt to chase it as we were off hiking or biking. I think there were only 2 sunny days but the panel boosted me up some even on the cloudy days. Each day I would have slightly less battery than the day before but never fell below 50%.

This turned out to be a rather long thread but it kind of walks you through my how my solar instillation went if anyone is interested.

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13865

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote