View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
...............snip....................

I would be interested in why you are mounting your panels? I think I had read one of your posts from several years ago about your portable panes and that influenced me a little. I think it was the flexibility to position the panels in the sun that made sense.
What I am looking at doing is mounting two panels, similar to what HarveyRv did. In addition I am looking at picking up a 140 watt panel, that will be about 8 additional amps when all three panels are in the sun. I may have the 140 watt as a portable or roof mount it and keep the two 80 watt panels portable. One of the things I noted this summer is with full sun We are right at the ragged edge of getting full charge on the new batteries even with our light loads. One of the things that has saved us in the past is moving the camper every few days in which case I don't set up the panels.
In your area during the winter months getting enough sun even with two 80 watt panels probably won't happen.
The further north one gets the worse it gets.
I plan on monitoring things closely while out west this winter, AZ gets better sun in winter then we see in summer when looking at the insolation values.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote