View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #7
Skyjim73

Thanks, everyone - I was afraid i would wind up having to swap the converter, and the Progressive Dynamics units were the ones i had my eye on - I'll want to be sure i get some equalization to keep the sulphates off the plates. After living 14 years with a terrific Heart interface Freedom 2000 inverter/100 amp charger fed by four 6V golf cart batts in my old Prowler, I know I'd never be content with a conventional converter that never gets my batteries to a decent bulk charge voltage or actually fully charges! Since I also learned that we really don't need big time AC capability away from shore power, I was pretty sure the combination of a pair of 6V Trojan T-145s, my two solar panels, our Honda Eu-2000, and a good 3 stage converter would handle our needs in the Trail Manor in any foreseeable circumstance. The minor AC loads we might want to run for electronics can be handled by a small sinewave inverter.

Going with the converter swap will be a lot cheaper than my original idea of a Magnum inverter/charger and the attendant rewiring. Anybody know what the charger amp rating was on their stock converter?

Going to the Pomona RV show tomorrow to place the deposit!

Jim
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote