View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think it depends on the direction of the wind. Broadside winds is the real issue. I don't think any campers has any tie downs that are anchored into the the ground. I think anything over 70 mph you risk the camper laying on it's side. On a TM if the wind was on the door side, I think you also risk damage to the fold out door hinges.

We were in a strong wind back in the early 90's. Camping on the beach of Assateague Island. The winds came out of nowhere and gusts of 80+ mph for about 1/2 hour. It hit our 31 foot AS near broadside and was rocking it. I think the tires on one side may have lifted off the ground. A few sits downs it laid a 31 footer on it's side. I think the only reason we were not laying over, was the round corners of the AS

Another time camping on the north side of Lake Superior, a storm came up with gusts over 70 mph and broadside to the camper. It was rocking and the floor and at time was visually not level. I moved the full size van between the camper and the wind to break the wind.

Any other time I have been in winds it was at a angle or head on to the front or back and was not that bad.

If I knew a strong storm with 50+ winds was going to hit us. I would put the camper down and weather it out in the van. I would not want to risk it and spoil a trip.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote