View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 09:45 PM   #10
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Best Fall Colors are in the Midwest!

[quote author=Bill link=board=18;threadid=1521;start=msg10755#msg1075 5 date=1068590440]
Then, about three years ago, with the kids moved out, we discovered KAYAKS! Comfortable, dry, stable kayaks! After some research and experimentation, we bought two Loon 138s, and wow, are they fun! Fast, easy to paddle, comfortable seat and footrests ... who could ask for more. Suddenly the lake is much smaller - 10 miles out and 10 miles still isn't easy, but it's doable. The canoe hasn't been out of the boathouse since.

These kayaks carry on top of the Explorer very nicely. We lugged them all over New England, and then last fall we lugged them from Maine to Arizona, in hopes that we would find some water in Arizona. Turns out there is a lot of water, and it is great for flathingyer kayaking (I don't do whitewater).
When it came time to return to Maine from Arizona, we decided that, rather than lug them back and forth, it made sense to simply leave those two kayaks in AZ, and buy two more when we got back to Maine. Since we live within an easy drive of Old Town, Maine (and hence the Old Town factory), it was easy to drive up there when they ran their factory sale, and buy another pair of Loon 138's.

I really recommend these Loon kayaks to anyone who wants to get out on the water in something that is fast, easy, and not scary, who does NOT want to do whitewater, does NOT want to get wet in the slightest chop, and does NOT want to do the Eskimo roll every few minutes. They're a blast.
[/quote]
Very intriguing. I just checked Old Town's website and see that the Loon 138 is 13' 8'' and when constructed from polyethylene weighs 57 lbs (49 lbs for the much pricier 138 Elite which is constructed from fiberglass). I can see why they're very stable though...hull width is a fairly wide 30 inches or so and the hull design is of the type that provides high levels of initial stability. My biggest concerns with this class of kayak have been (1) where the heck do I store a 14 foot boat (my garage is already pretty darn full and I don't have a boathouse) and (2) how difficult will it be to haul/lift/portage a roughly 60 lb boat all by myself.

Kinda wondering how you handled these issues, particularly the storage issue for the boats you keep in AZ.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote