View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
MisterP

Your statement that there is no vehicle capable of towing any Trailmanor is a bit over-reactive in my opinion. There are many vehicles available with adequate towing capacity for all TM models, but what commonly occurs on this forum is the "I have such and such a vehicle, and I want to confirm I can use it" syndrome.

What occurs at this point is two different paths typically occur. The first group says they have the same vehicle and have never had a problem towing with it. The second group, which I am a member of without reservation, is that towing anything near or above the design limits of a tow vehicle is a recipe for disaster.

You rarely see members coming on the forum looking for validation to use a F550. Trying not to be glib, but I hope you see my point.

I tow a 3326 with a Ford Expedition rated for 8200 lbs with a weight distributing hitch. I used to tow a 3124 with a V6 Trailblazer and no WDH. In hindsight that was a stupid thing to do. Nothing bad happened while I did it, except for overheating the Trailblazer in the PA mountains. I did not do adequate research on the realistic tow weights of the trailer, and relied primarily on factory "empty" weights in my decision.

In between these two TMs we hauled a 39 foot toy hauler with two motorcycles in it. That was when I got educated on towing capacity and the reality of stopping a towed trailer in emergency situations.

Towing a trailer is one consideration. Stopping it safely is another. Towing without prematurely ruining an expensive vehicle is another, or incurring excessive repair costs. The perhaps least likely but most critical consideration in my opinion is potential liability if an accident occurs and you are found to be towing over rated limits.

It sounds like you are looking at a very nice vehicle. With 4400/440 tow ratings, I would not consider it adequate for any except the smallest Trailmanors. Good luck with your purchase and safe travels.