View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb WRT Fans and Switches, revisited (another PID?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
I have my stock fan wired to turn on with either my external switch, or the internal switch as well--quite worthwhile....
The TM supplied fan works when TM is set up, and also works when shells are down (towing configuration). Our new upper-panel-mounted "blower" fans aren't effective during towing, because the fan exhaust is trapped between weather-sealed shells and the TM "frame box".
The TM-supplied fan spins really fast, moving lots of air but making too much noise for camp use. I consider it useful (and more or less mandatory) only for towing.
My panel mounted blower fans, and I currently have two, cannot be heard from inside the TM, and cannot even be heard from outside at a distance greater than about a foot (750RPM @ 12V).
- - - -
I am concerned, however, that one of my low-speed blowers might actually be hurting performance. I have one on each side of the TM-supplied flex-tube leading down to the "standard" exhaust fan, and the blower which I've installed above the heater stack tube may be pulling too much heat from that un-insulated tubing before it reaches the radiator.

I also think that activation and de-activation of my low-speed blower(s) should not require any "guesswork" and manual button pressing. So I am inclined to buy another PID and thermocouple, and use the second set to make my "blower fan" run and stop according to actual temperature conditions along the radiator (probably locating the thermocouple near the underside of the radiator center point).