View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 04:08 AM   #10
rixalex

Default Re:I am WTV* - sob!

Bill – Whoa! This is not good news! Glad to hear that you and yours are going to be OK, though. I want to second your thoughts on the SUV safety issue. Our 1989 Land Cruiser, which is well over 6,000 lbs, has been rear ended THREE times by small econoboxes--all three times the car lost. We sold the Cruiser a few months ago and could honestly say to the new owner (an 18 year old kid) that it had never been to the body shop for repair. Every time we got hit, the car submarined UNDER the hitch. After the accident, we simply had to put the Cruiser in 4WD to drive off the car underneath us. Next stop was our mechanic’s to make sure that there was no damage done to our Cruiser. All it ever took was a little spray paint on the hitch assembly to fix things up. Sadly, after more than 200,000 miles and almost 15 years, we’ve had to say goodbye to the Cruiser, so we’re back in the market. The $50K+ cost of a new Cruiser puts that choice out of reach, and unlike you, we’re still locked into Downeast Maine winters, so we’re going to need something that is able to go to the same places that we explored with the Cruiser—both summer and winter. I’ll be interested to know what you finally settle on for a replacement vehicle. And thanks to everybody else regarding their thoughts on what kind of tv works best for them—it’s been invaluable.

Rick