PDA

View Full Version : Extra 7 year warranty??? 1K

Pat Sullivan
03-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Does anyone have an oinion about this. The dealer would charge $1,000 for an extended warranty. Basically workmanship is covered for a year then after that the owner takes over. Sorry for all my recent posts, we're nervous and NEOPHYTES at this TT RV thing Thanks a lot.

Wavery
03-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Does anyone have an oinion about this. The dealer would charge $1,000 for an extended warranty. Basically workmanship is covered for a year then after that the owner takes over. Sorry for all my recent posts, we're nervous and NEOPHYTES at this TT RV thing Thanks a lot.

Sorry......I don't understand what you are saying.

Surely, you are not serious about the Euro-Van.

ShrimpBurrito
03-25-2010, 08:03 AM
I think when he says, "Basically workmanship is covered for a year then after that the owner takes over", he's talking about the factory warranty.

And I think he also means that for $1k, he can get a 7-year warranty. But it is not clear as to what this warranty covers, whether there's a deductible, who is underwriting the warranty (who pays the bills), or what is required to file a claim. So before I would ever be able to form an opinion as to the value of that warranty, I would need alot more info.

To echo harveyrv's comment, have you checked the weight ratings of the Eurovan? Not the tow rating.....it might be worth your while to present those numbers here so we can help you quantify the Eurovan's capability in towing an Elkmont. I'm not sure that is a safe setup.

Dave

Bill
03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
... he can get a 7-year warranty. But it is not clear as to what this warranty covers, whether there's a deductible, who is underwriting the warranty (who pays the bills), or what is required to file a claim. So before I would ever be able to form an opinion as to the value of that warranty, I would need alot more info.Exactly right. Before you even think about forking over the cash, you need to have a firm understanding in your mind (and on paper!) about the answer to specific questions, such as ...

Suppose that the refrigerator fails during the fifth year of ownership. This is well outside the TM warranty period, and well outside Dometic or Norcold's warranty period. If this happens, who pays, and how much? Is the value of the refrig prorated downward on the basis of age? Since a refrigerator failure is likely to be catastrophic, does the coverage include complete replacement with a brand-new unit?

One other question is worth asking. Is the warranty transferable to a new owner? Seven years is a long time - you might not own this specific trailer for that long. If the warranty is transferable, it would help the resale value.

Incidentally, GoodSam has a warranty called Extended Service Protection (ESP) or something similar. I have not owned it, so I have no idea whether it is good or how much it costs. But you might look into it for comparison purposes. You can get a quote on line.
http://www.goodsamclub.com/benefits-services/rv-extended-warranty.aspx

Let us know what you find - this is interesting.

Bill

RogerR
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Before you buy any extended warranty always check with your state insurance board. They can tell you if the warranty company is solvent or having problems. Only costs a phone call and can save you the money.
Also, saw in Good Sam help line that the trailer dealer kept the money, went out of business and no warranty was ever issued.
Don't forget to negotiate if you do buy the warranty. Most of them have up to 50% profit for the selling dealer.

good luck and See you down the road!

Wavery
03-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Before you buy any extended warranty always check with your state insurance board. They can tell you if the warranty company is solvent or having problems. Only costs a phone call and can save you the money.
Also, saw in Good Sam help line that the trailer dealer kept the money, went out of business and no warranty was ever issued.
Don't forget to negotiate if you do buy the warranty. Most of them have up to 50% profit for the selling dealer.

good luck and See you down the road!
The profit is usually more like 66%. Typically, the salesperson gets 1/3 (commission), the dealership keeps 1/3 (profit) and 1/3 is the cost of the warranty. That's why there are better deals online.

Also, keep in mind that most service centers will not honor any warranty other than the one that they sell (which may change over time). That means that the consumer may end up paying for the repair and have to deal with the warranty company on their own. Sometimes the consumer will only get a fraction of the cost of the repair (if they get anything) and then they have to fight for their $ and wait for the settlement.

This is one of the reasons that I got out of the automobile industry:new_gmorn. These aftermarket warranty companies drove me up the wall. The consumer seldom wins with these things and they usually take it out on the service manager of the place that performs the repair.......... :new_cussi

rumbleweed
03-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Carefully check what is covered. Is it the TM workmanship only. Much of the expensive to repair stuff in the TM is covered under the original mfgrs warranty. This is similar to a new car where the tires on the car are handled by the tire manufacturer not the auto maker. I had a window issue while unde the 1 yr warranty and ended up being referred to the window manufacturer not TM. PS it went well anyway.

Pat Sullivan
03-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the input about the extended warranty. We did not get it, however we still have an option. Yes, after a year the warranty on the appliances according the TM dealer goes away. We never bought one on a home appliance or vehicle for that matter, we're but curious what others have done with their new TM. It sounds like no one has ever purchased an extended warranty on an RV. Thanks for the input about Good Sam etc.

More ya have in life the more complicated it is!

Like I said we are just trying to learn.

Wavery
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the input about the extended warranty. We did not get it, however we still have an option. Yes, after a year the warranty on the appliances according the TM dealer goes away. We never bought one on a home appliance or vehicle for that matter, we're but curious what others have done with their new TM. It sounds like no one has ever purchased an extended warranty on an RV. Thanks for the input about Good Sam etc.

More ya have in life the more complicated it is!

Like I said we are just trying to learn.

Probably a wise decision. If it doesn't cover the appliances, there's not a lot left to go wrong. Water leaks etc, usually show up withing the warranty period of the trailer. Once you work the "Bugs" out under the warranty period, you're usually good, if you keep up maintenance. If you don't keep up maintenance, the warranty won't help you either so there's not a lot to be gained with it. No warranty is going to cover normal wear & tear.