PDA

View Full Version : First trip under the belt & "bed"

b&pcamping
02-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Hello from the new guys. My wife and I just got home from the shakedown trip to the central coast with our new to us 06, 2619. We stayed at Montana de Oro State Park, and were the only people there besides the camp host for our first day. Rain on the second day threatened to make our grilling plans a bit soggy,and not wanting to put out the awning and roll it back wet, I decided to use the overhang of the back bed as shelter and the bumper as a seat, and all was well. All in all we had a wonderful time and the trailer is great!! I did have one issues that I'd like to get thoughts on however. On the trip back home the trailers brakes started engaging on thier own a few times. I noticed it a couple time not knowing that's what it was, but then they started doing it off and on more frequently. I was able to get home after adjusting the brake controller so the brakes would not engage. Thankfully we were only about 10 miles from home when it got that bad. Do you all think it likely the brake controller?
Thanks Bruce & Paula

b&pcamping
02-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I guess the trailer isn't the only thing that's new to me. I thought I attached photo's to this posting but I see no such luck. I'll have to try again later. :(
Bruce

M&M Hokie
02-21-2010, 11:08 AM
We stayed at Montana de Oro State Park

What a coincidence. That is where we did our first TM trip. The poison oak was a bit too omnipresent for our taste but it was still a great time. Perhaps we will bump into you one of these days at one of the central coast state parks.

PopBeavers
02-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I am a Cal Poly drop out. Woulda been class of 1975. Our son accomplished what I did not. He graduated in 2006.

Being a mountain bike racer, he did a lot of riding at MDO. Never heard it called that when I was there.

Please don't tell the park ranger, but around 1974 I stole a rock from the beach. I was hanging out with friends and while looking for flat rocks to skip across the water I found one that was heart shaped. I kept it. Using bright red finger nail polish I put my initials and my then girl friends initials on one side and the date on the other side.

It presently sits on our dresser. I married her several years later.

Brings back fond memories.

We were at MDO again in early December but I was unable to find a similar rock.

Wavery
02-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Hello from the new guys. My wife and I just got home from the shakedown trip to the central coast with our new to us 06, 2619. We stayed at Montana de Oro State Park, and were the only people there besides the camp host for our first day. Rain on the second day threatened to make our grilling plans a bit soggy,and not wanting to put out the awning and roll it back wet, I decided to use the overhang of the back bed as shelter and the bumper as a seat, and all was well. All in all we had a wonderful time and the trailer is great!! I did have one issues that I'd like to get thoughts on however. On the trip back home the trailers brakes started engaging on thier own a few times. I noticed it a couple time not knowing that's what it was, but then they started doing it off and on more frequently. I was able to get home after adjusting the brake controller so the brakes would not engage. Thankfully we were only about 10 miles from home when it got that bad. Do you all think it likely the brake controller?
Thanks Bruce & Paula

YES!!! It is very likely the brake controller. In fact, I can't imagine what else could cause that.

What brake controller do you have??

Redhawk
02-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with Wayne, especially if the problem disappeared after adjusting the controller. Is it mounted fairly flat in the TV?

sounds like a fun trip. We're pretty cold right now, so I'm jealous.

b&pcamping
02-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Hello Mary and Mark, MDO is one of our favorite places to camp. We've never had an issue with the poison oak, but we sure saw enough of it! We used to take our kids there when they were little and turn the trip into a classroom adventure as they were home schooled. This trip was a bit nostalgic for us remembering those days. Wayne, as for the brake controller. It's a Takonsha Voyager about 7 years old. Do you all have a recomendation on a replacement controller? We've got a trip planned for mid June to Russian Gulch near Mendocino. Don't want any issues going that far.
Bruce

Bill
02-21-2010, 04:35 PM
I guess the trailer isn't the only thing that's new to me. I thought I attached photo's to this posting but I see no such luck. I'll have to try again later.For help on posting pictures, take a look here. It is pretty straightforward once you have done it a couple times.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2505

You can go back and EDIT your original post to add the pictures.

As for the brake controller, the Voyager is (in my opinion) kind of an oddball. I say that because it is apparently not self-levelling. The instruction manual has an elaborate procedure for setting up the controller at whatever mounting angle you like - but then it apparently must stay at that angle forever!

My guess is that you smacked the controller and knocked it off its calibrated angle. If so, this may mean that you can follow the adjustment procedure again and have a working controller. Or, to be sure, you can remove it and buy a Tekonsha Prodigy. The Prodigy is a good controller at a reasonable price, and is really good for a newbie to use. In fact, when my old Jordan Ultima finally died a few months ago, I bought a Prodigy to replace it. I like the Ultima better, but it is not being made any more, there are no replacement parts available. The Prodigy has been a better-than-acceptable substitute.

Bill

b&pcamping
02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Thank you Bill for the tutorial on adding photo's. I've got it now.:) As for the brake controller, I'm searching the internet already looking for a replacement. I believe I'll take your advise and look for the Prodigy. New trailer new controller and less worry! As I said, we've got a trip planned and the only thing I want to complain about is finding a rest stop!

Thanks again,
Bruce