PDA

View Full Version : Newest Campsite

Leslie & Nick
06-22-2008, 01:22 PM
We no doubt use our TM a little differently than most. We now keep our TM at a piece of property we own in Tennessee, inside a large building. Not only do we store the camper in the building, we now set it up inside the building and 'camp' in the building. I know this is not everyone's idea of camping, but for us it works out well.

We used to move the camper from the building to an RV site we had made specifically for the the trailer a few years ago (water, 30 amp power, septic). One day, when bad weather was forecast, we decided just to set the TM up in the building (building has a high ceiling). It worked out so well, we just kept setting up inside the building, even if the weather was nice. We have grown to appreciate this setup because -

1) the trailer stays cleaner - dogs not tracking in as much dirt as they used to.
2) Our immediate camping 'area' is much larger with the 1200 square foot concrete floor
3) We still have running water, and electric (long garden hoses and extension cords for the time being)
4) The camper stays cooler since it's not in the sun
5) Camper is protected from the 'elements'
6) If I want to do maintenance work on the trailer, or TV, or ATVs, or tractor, I can do so regardless of the weather

So, until we can build our 'retirement' house on this land, we'll use the TM as sort of an apartment on wheels;) We still look forward to 'conventional camping' and plan on attending the TrailBlazer rally in October.

Again, I'm not saying this 'camping' style is for everybody, in fact many would probably find going to the same place time after time, boring with a capital 'B'. But at present we only go to TN once every 6 weeks or so, and we have plenty of things to amuse us once we get there, so I don't mind at all, in fact I look forward to it!

countrygirl
06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
That is kind of neat...and put a whole new twist to garage kept!

B_and_D
06-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Looks great to me! You don't have to keep washing it (it takes me hours sometimes) and no dirt tracked in? Plus it doesn't get weathered? Why not! I'm all for that.

Do you keep it closed down when you leave? We leave ours open all the time. I like to be able to get into it.

Leslie & Nick
06-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Do you keep it closed down when you leave? We leave ours open all the time. I like to be able to get into it.

We used to close it down, when we left, but now we just leave it up. Makes setting it up the next time, a little quicker :)

2bcs1jrt
06-24-2008, 03:57 PM
We all have different ways of enjoying our TMs. Most of my camping is done in parking lots or fairground lawns while attending dog shows. I have no problem with it. I'd rather be in the comfort of my TM than in a Motel 6 in a questionable area just cuz it's near the show site and takes dogs. I think it's great that you can leave it open indoors. I wish I could do that!!

Cheri
Who now fits 3 border collies and one Jack Russell in a 2518.:new_all_c

jimbojrxsf
07-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Bingo! My wife and I have always talked about building a large garage (high vault ceiling with bath/power) and staying in it while we built our earthship.....now it all falls in place. See the country for the next 5 years and when we find that perfect "place" we'll have our apartment...eh TM with us.....dog gone great idea.

PopBeavers
07-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Many years ago my uncle bought some land and buit a home on it. He built the carport first and they lived in the car under the carport until the house was partially complete.

I have no doubt my aunt would have preferred a TM.