PDA

View Full Version : Kettle Moraine State Forest, Wisconsin

wbmiller3
08-25-2007, 07:09 AM
We spent several nights at Mauthe Lake campground in the Kettle Moraine State Forest, Wisconsin. It's near Campbellsport, Wisconsin. It's a nicely wooded campground on a lake with one modern bath house but mostly pit toilets. (This seemed to be a theme in the Wisconsin state parks...new bathrooms are being added). Sites are gravel but little leveling was required for the one we chose. Electric sites are available but you have to haul water. Most of the sites are screened by abundant vegetation from the neighbors and the campground is very shady.

This park is located in the beautiful and picturesque dairylands and the state forest preserves many interesting features produced by ice age glaciers. The area is very good for birding and reasonably central to several spots we wanted to visit such as Horicon Marsh, Sheboygan, etc.

Something I missed when researching this trip was that Wisconsin state parks require a $10 daily entry fee on top of the camping fee. However, you can buy a yearly pass for $40 and since we were staying in the state two weeks, that made it more bearable.

I would stay here again anytime.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/kmn/

MidwestDave
08-25-2007, 06:33 PM
My DW and I stayed at Kettle Moraine around Eagle Wisconsin on our "maiden voyage" after picking up our new 2006-2720 at Danny's a year ago May.
Our camp site was large and somewhat secluded. Electricity only campsite with picnic table and camp fire ring. Modern bath with stools and showers with concrete floors just 100' away. I hauled water while we were there from the bath house outside spigot. Daughter and son-in-law came from Waukesha (15 minutes away) to have supper and check out TM.
I found that making a reservation on line cost an extra $10. All said I too would go back.