PDA

View Full Version : mirrors on 4runner??

jack & cindy hamilton
08-25-2007, 06:44 AM
just towed our 2720tm with our new 4runner.
the 4runner towed it great with little effort on hills and no problems with anything else.
only problem was i could not see behind me even with twisting my neck and rotating the mirrors.
looks like i need extentions. anyone else had this prob?
if so what was your solution?
also the wd hitch worked out great (robin) many thanks for all your suggestions.

grill-n-go
08-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Do a search on this board for McKesh mirrors. They seem to work best.

There are many others on the market, CIPA, Tow-N-See, Eagle Vistion, etc. I've tried the Tow-N-See and discovered that the mirror pocket on my Tundra was too deep for this mirror to work properly. I've also seen comments regarding the CIPA mirrors where they were blown off in middle of a severe rain storm.

Mckesh is pricey and a little hard on the eyes, but a hands down winner on performance.

CAmark
08-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I was able to find McKesh used on Ebay...once set up for your TV they are a 1-2 minute effort to put on or off...they also leave your stock mirror visible. Mark

PopBeavers
08-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Try this test. Park the TV and TM in an empty parking lot, with TV and TM lined up straight. Pace off 100 feet behind the TM. Place a cone or something on the ground.

If you can not see it in your mirrors then you are not legal to tow in some states.

I have the McKesh mirrors. They are adequate, but they are not perfect.

1. When changing drivers we need to adjust the mirrors for the other driver
2. when changing the adjustment we need wrenches because if the tension screws are too loose the mirror moves and if the screws are too tight then we break the mirror when adjusting. I can not get the screws just right.
3. McKesh mirrors are not heated
4. when a friend is following me, I have a hard time keeping an eye on them because the McKesh mirrors vibrate more than I would prefer

Freedom
08-26-2007, 07:42 PM
We use these Cipa mirrors and there isn't any vibration. I don't know if they make them for your rig. The ones that fit the Jimmy are actually listed for a Ford Astro van. I bought them for a Mazda pickup we had and they fit the Jimmy so we've been using them ever since. They just fit over the original mirror and you can use both mirrors. I would still like to add a video camera on the back of the TM, but that's just a dream at this point.

Bill
08-27-2007, 08:47 PM
There have been a lot of discussions about mirrors. Many of us like McKesh mirrors, but some don't, and that's OK. To my mind, the discussion should include the sight lines provided by the mirrors. This was the central point of your question, I think, and Wayne/PopBeavers addressed it well in his post above. There were some numerical thoughts that may be helpful in

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3658

Bill