PDA

View Full Version : Campground in the Cumberland Falls, KY area

mgoblue911
07-16-2007, 12:42 PM
We spent a couple of days near Cumberland Falls in KY last week and stayed in one of the nicest and most beautiful campgrounds we have been to: Grove Recreation Area outside of Corbin, KY. The sites are enormous, many of them split level because there is so much elevation there. The spaces are absolutely level, clean, and carved out of the trees so that they are incredibly private. A short hike through the woods delivers you to a fantanstic overlook constructed to provide a awe-inspiring view of Laurel Lake. Campground's location provides easy access to Cumberland Falls, Laurel Dam (with a real nice swimming beach), white water rafting, and miles of hiking trails.

mgoblue911
10-30-2007, 07:51 AM
As a follow up to my campground post, here are some photos from the Cumberland Falls themselves. This is the second highest volume waterfall in the US, behind only Niagara. I wish that there had been something available to provide some scale to the pictures. The best I can do is tell you that the boulder with the water crashing over it, at the bottom right hand side of the falls, is about 12 feet in diameter.