PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Swamp Park, Freehold, NJ

commodor47
06-27-2007, 10:37 AM
We attended a wedding in Spring Lake, NJ on Saturday, June 16, 2007 followed by a reception in Red Bank, NJ. Rather than take a hotel room, we decided to make it a mini vacation. There are several campgrounds in the area. One in particular caught our attention. It is located in Freehold, NJ, which put us within 20 to 30 minutes of the ceremony and reception. The park is called Turkey Swamp Park. It is by far one of the nicest campgrounds we’ve encountered. All the sites are pull-through with water and electric hook ups (dump facility). Be sure to bring along extra water hose and power cord. (At least 50 feet of water hose and a 25-foot power cord extension). There is 17-acre lake with recreational facilities for non-powered boating (canoes, paddle boats and row boats can be rented), swimming and fishing. All the sites are located so as to maximize privacy and yet have well placed trees for shading. We arrived on Friday, June 15th and left early Sunday morning (the 17th) to start the next leg of our travels . . . Sandusky, OH area.

Here is a link to the park Website:
http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/campsites/family.asp

Here is a link to photos of the campground:
http://picasaweb.google.com/commodor47/TurkeySwampParkNJ#

Dick

rjsmalley
08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
We have camped there and are very impressed with the facility. All sites are roomy with plenty of brush between sites. All sites have good tree cover with oaks, maples, ash and evergreens. Power and water hookups are near to the road which puts camper’s curbsides facing the site not the road, plus they are all pull thru. I can not say enough about this camp ground other then it is amazing for a county park, plus only twenty minutes drive time (with traffic) from the shore.

Leslie & Nick
08-16-2007, 12:09 PM
That looks like a great campground! Very nice pictures Dick and Jeri. When I saw the name "Freehold" I had to do a Google search for Freehold Raceway. Alas, Freehold Raceway (trotters), is still in business after all these years. Had been there many times in my younger years.

I lived in NJ when I was a kid, and always thought it was a good place to live. Not sure how NJ ever became the butt of so many jokes though. The state offers more diversity than most people think. :D